Asbestos exposure can have an effect in just 2 days

asbestos through a scope

A man has died from asbestos-related disease decades after being exposed to the material for just two days. Michael Davies had helped to dismantle roofing containing the substance in 1978.

Mr Davies, who was 60 and lived in Pattingham in South Staffordshire, died on 18th September from mesothelioma – a rare and aggressive cancer that is caused by breathing in asbestos fibres. The cancer develops in the lining of the lungs, abdomen, or heart.

Officer Andrew Heathcote read out a statement from Mr Davies’ family at Cannock Coroners Court.

It read: “After graduating in 1978 in Swansea Mr Davies had no permanent employment and it appears he survived by doing odd jobs.

“He remembered his friend Tony returning from the Job Centre to say there was a job clearing asbestos in a factory in Swansea.

“He thought the opportunity was too good to turn down and signed up. But after just two days dismantling roofs, he gave it up.”

 

Symptoms appear decades after asbestos exposure

Mr Davies reported this asbestos exposure in July. However, the period between exposure to this harmful material and diagnosis of mesothelioma can be anywhere between 20 to 60 years. The initial exposure happens many years before symptoms begin to show which can in some cases be of very short duration. Unlike other asbestos diseases, mesothelioma is not ‘dose related’. It is possible to develop mesothelioma as a result of short periods of exposure to asbestos.

South Staffordshire Coroner, Mr Andrew Haigh, said: “I have been told Michael was only 60 when he died, which is a relatively young age to die.

“He was an active man, had a responsible job in social services and was part of the community in Pattingham.

“After he had obtained his degree in Swansea in the late-1970s, he had a job for a couple of days removing asbestos. He reported this to the chest physician, who said they would expect there to be longer exposure than just a couple of days.

“There is no doubt that Mr Davies died as a result of mesothelioma and no doubt that this was a result from exposure to asbestos.

“What is more difficult is when the exposure occurred, and the time that he was working in Swansea is the only exposure I have been told about.

“Therefore, on the balance of probabilities, I conclude Mr Davies died of industrial disease.”

People who have worked with or have been exposed to asbestos are most at risk of developing mesothelioma. The life expectancy for patients with mesothelioma is poor as there is currently no known cure for the disease.

 

What are the symptoms of mesothelioma?

Early symptoms of mesothelioma can include chest or abdominal pain, bloating and shortness of breath, depending on the location of the cancer. Because early-stage signs can be minimum, doctors often mistake them as normal aches and pains or symptoms of less serious illnesses. Other symptoms can include pain in the side of the chest or lower back, cough, fever, excessive sweating, fatigue, weight loss (without trying), trouble swallowing (feeling like food gets stuck), hoarseness and swelling of the face and arms.

 

Concerned about asbestos?

If you have a concern your property may contain asbestos, get in touch we one of our expert asbestos consultants today. Call Contact us now!

 

Neil Munro

I work in a dual role at Acorn Analytical Services focused primarily on growing and leading the business from our Northampton office base. My focus is on overseeing all sales, marketing and financial activities from Northampton. I assist clients with high-level asbestos management strategies and training. Together with Ian Stone I host our weekly podcast – Asbestos Knowledge Empire and I'm Co-author of Asbestos The Dark Arts and Fear and Loathing of Health and Safety.

Need Help? Request a Call Back

Request a call back from one of our expert Asbestos Consultants who will help you identify what you need

More Asbestos Articles

Acorn Lower Service 55

What happens when asbestos goes wrong?

Asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral, has been a staple in the construction industry for decades due to its heat-resistant properties. However, when mishandled, it can lead to severe health risks, including lung cancer and mesothelioma. Unfortunately, cases of asbestos mismanagement are still prevalent today, despite the wealth of information and regulations available to prevent such … Read more

asbestos an issue

Unmasking the Truth: Is Asbestos An Issue for UK Employers in 2023?

Is asbestos an issue for employers today, even a decade after regulations tightened? The answer, shockingly, remains a resounding yes. It’s easy to dismiss asbestos as a problem of the past, but the reality is that the spectre of asbestos still haunts many workplaces in the UK in 2023. Asbestos – A Lingering Threat Even … Read more

Asbestos removal 2

Acorn Help Raise Money for Help The Heroes

Saturday 4th May 2013 saw the second Tough Mudder event at Boughton House, Kettering. Taking part and helping to raise money for Help The Heroes was Acorn Analytical Services Director – Neil Munro. Tough Mudder® events are hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by Special Forces to test all around strength, stamina, determination, and camaraderie. … Read more

Acorn Lower Service 39

Firms fined for asbestos exposure risk at scrap yard and naval training base

A number of workers and Royal Navy personnel were exposed to asbestos after pipes lined with the dangerous material were left on a roadside before being put in an open skip and transferred to a salvage yard, a court has heard. The pipes, lined with asbestos insulation, were removed from HMS Sultan naval training base … Read more

DSCF0003 1024x764 1

Council in court for ignoring asbestos threat in school

Thurrock Council has been fined after admitting to failures in how it managed asbestos across its schools. Basildon Crown Court heard today (1 March 2013) that despite being made aware of asbestos concerns in a boiler room at Stifford Clays Junior School, no action was taken. A specialist contractor tasked with carrying out an asbestos … Read more

Asbestos demolition 3

Building owner fined for asbestos exposure

An industrial property owner has been prosecuted for exposing untrained workers to dangerous asbestos fibres following a series of failings at a building in Newport. In a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), Abergavenny Magistrates’ Court heard today (21 February) that Mr Nasimul Karbani, from Middlesex, employed two workers and then helped … Read more

Management survey 1

Hospital trust in court for asbestos failures

A North East hospital trust has been fined after contractors were unwittingly exposed to asbestos fibres at Sunderland Eye Infirmary. Sunderland Magistrates’ Court heard today that over the weekend of 24/25 March 2012, contractors at the infirmary on Queen Alexandra Road drilled through door surrounds on a ward to install cables. The following day concerns … Read more

Acorn Banners 23

Swansea engineering firm and building contractor fined for asbestos exposure

Workers were exposed to dangerous asbestos fibres following a catalogue of errors by an engineering company and a building firm during a demolition and refurbishment project in Swansea, a court has heard. The project was badly managed, with untrained staff put in charge of the operation, and was underpinned by inadequate surveys for the presence … Read more